Non-standard financial help available for Higher Education Students

Non-standard financial help available for Higher Education Students

In the previous article we have discussed the most common ways for students to get financial help from the government. However depending on your personal circumstances you may qualify for additional aid.

Income support and financial help

If you experience financial hardship you may be able to claim income support. The minimum amount that you will get is £57.90 a week. For details if you qualify check income support website. Moreover universities and colleges usually have their own hardship funds for: students with children, students from low income families, mature students with financial commitments, care leavers or homeless. You need to check the details at the local institution of your choice.

Financial help for students with children or dependant adults

Full time students can apply Childcare Grant of: £155 a week for 1 child, or £166.15 for two or more children. Your children need to be under 15 or under 17 if they have special educational needs.  Additionally full-time students with children can get up to £1,573 per year for: books or study materials or travel costs. You don’t have to pay back the allowance. You can also get Child Tax credit for each of your child  under 16 or under 20 and in eligible education or training.

If you are a student with adult dependent you can apply for an Adult Dependant’s grant up to £2,757. You can apply for this grant on top of any other student finance income and you don’t have to pay it back.

Financial Help for disabled students

If you suffer ongoing term health condition, mental health condition specific learning difficulty, e.g. dyslexia, you may qualify for disability grant up to £1,741  per year.

Financial Help for medical and social work students

If you’re studying medicine, dentistry, nursing or a healthcare course in England, you may be eligible for an annual payment from the NHS to help with your study and living costs (known as a ‘bursary’). You can get up to a £1,000 from the NHS grant. In addition if you study social care you can get social work bursary, which depends on: where you study, whether you study full or part-time, the cost of your tuition.


+ There are no comments

Add yours